Severity levels

Nicklas Börjesson Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se
Sun May 3 06:04:18 CDT 2009

> You'd be surprised...
We'll I've looked around at "invalids", but to me it seems that people in general(with a few exceptions of course), tries quite hard until they file a bug report.
At least way harder than they do in other FOSS projects I have been involved in, so I can't really say that I would think you've got a problem.
At least not yet. Despite the support forum only have one list. More stuff on the wiki would help too.

>Not all critical bugs are caused by the loader. It's possible for
>d3d/ole/etc. to have a similar effect.

Yes, it is possible, but not likely enough to warrant an extra severity level. Yes, I have looked.

>Keep in mind, most developers are unpaid as well. They're the ones
>fixing the bugs, not users. While users are important, no work gets
>done without the developers.

I know that most developers are also unpaid.
With "maintained" I didn't only mean maintainers of versions and so forth.

>Developers have no way to prioritize one
>user over another. The best way to prioritize *your* bug is to make a
>*good* bug report. Make sure all needed information is included. Get a
>testcase if possible. Provide the needed traces, etc. Even better, is
>to write a patch yourself. The source is there, and there is nothing
>stopping you from writing a patch.

Again. This is not what I am talking about.
I am not relevant because I am also an experienced developer, so I have no problems with these things.
I can patch like there is no tomorrow, given time.

What I am talking about the fact that the ordinary users priorities are very important.
Currently they are either:
1.Completely disregarded or
2. If they follow the instruction(where "commons sense" is not mentioned), they're forced to adhere to severity levels that distort or hide their opinion of the problem. And for each user reporting there are dozens that are not. Bad will.

It just feels like the entire project should become a bit more user-centric.
Now I am not just talking about shinier graphics but about attitude.
Maybe soften up a bit ask oneself, "WHY did this person ask this stupid question?", "WHY did he do this EVEN though it says do this?" or "How would I feel if someone said this to me?".

//Nicklas