Severity levels

Ken Sharp kennybobs at o2.co.uk
Sun May 3 12:16:54 CDT 2009

Nicklas Börjesson wrote:
>> To every Wine user, their application not working is critical.  This is
>> clear by all the bugs that are logged incorrectly every day, because
>> nobody bothered reading the FAQ.
>
> Yep, but that's more an indication on how much work remains to be done on wine than it is an incorrect severity level.

No it isn't.  It's an indication on how many people think they're more
important than anyone else filing a bug.

> If Photoshop(the eternal example) should stop working on windows due to a regression, I am sure the users would consider it critical when they report it to Microsoft.

It doesn't matter what the users think, we've been over this, it would
be up to MS coders.
They would put a high priority on it because Adobe it a major player,
and I'm sure MS makes a lot of money out of them one way or another.
This is a FOSS project and has no bearing on severity levels.
If a set of devs decide to work on getting a particular app working
that's up to them, and we've already been over this too.

> But as the wine project progresses, severity levels will hopefully drop so that there will be more nuances.

As Wine progress, the higher severities will be less and less.  Higher
sev levels will stand out a lot more.  That's what they're for.

> I just think there is something severely when registering a bug that results in unworkable applications is considered a "normal" or even "minor" bug.
> To me, that's sending the wrong signals about the ambition of the project.

Nobody else seems to have this problem.

> Unless the "not yet suitable for general use" from the faq is everywhere with blinking warning signs.

Bares no relevance whatsoever to severity levels in Bugzilla.

> //Nicklas

Note to self:  Reply to ALL.