crypt32/tests: Print a better error if no Verisign root certificates available.

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:09:18 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would changing it to:
>> "CERT_TRUST_IS_UNTRUSTED_ROOT is expected if no trusted root
>> certificate is available."
>> be better?
>
> I don't think so.  I think this test is a special case, because it
> depends on your system's configuration, whereas the other tests should
> not.

We have a similar warning already:
http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=blob;f=dlls/ws2_32/tests/sock.c#l2454

Surely there's some warning we can agree on...currently, it doesn't
give the user any hint of what's wrong. As far as they can tell, it is
solely a Wine problem, not their system being misconfigured. If a user
sees "no Verisign certificate", they'd be more likely to investigate
why that is, and fix it (or, if they are installed, file a bug).

> Part of me thinks the test could be removed, as it doesn't really
> exercise any code path that isn't already exercised with the existing
> tests.  On the other hand, if the Verisign root CA isn't installed,
> iTunes will silently fail to start.  I'm not sure which is worse, an
> arguably spurious test failure, or silent application failures.

Silent application failures are probably worse...

--
-Austin