Severity levels

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Tue May 5 14:03:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009 13:28:45 -0400 (EDT)
James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The proposed impact field should be a drop down list only and present common
> impacts encountered by users, such as "Unable to Install Application",
> "Unable to run application","Screen is unreadable","Text not appearing on
> screen","Graphics are garbled".

If I can't install or run an app because text is not appearing on the screen and the graphics are garbled--in other words, the screen is unreadable--which item am I supposed to select? Or at the other extreme--what if my problem doesn't seem to match anything on the predefined list?

>This allows the user to provide input
> and allow the triage team to provide feedback to the user as well as
> assign appropriate severity and priorities to bug reports.

There's already a field that does exactly that: the description. It allows users to describe the problem in as much detail as they wish, including its impact, and unlike a drop-down list, is not limited to common issues. I don't see what an additional field to repeat this information in vague terms will do to help anyone.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>