Severity levels

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:59:03 CDT 2009

2009/5/5 Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson at pobox.com>:
> I've got a whole bunch of bugs linked from Warhammer Online which have
> really unuseful bug titles, causing readers of the page to end up
> reporting the same things in the comments.

Bug titles can and should be changed.

2009/5/6 James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>:
> Since the severity and priority fields are developer only, they should not
> be present.

Developers use bugzilla too. Any restriction we put on casual users
will affect experienced users, unless there is some flag in each
user's profile for whether the fields will be visible.

Big question is, is it THAT much of a problem? I vote no.

2009/5/6 Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>:
>>This allows the user to provide input
>> and allow the triage team to provide feedback to the user as well as
>> assign appropriate severity and priorities to bug reports.
>>

> There's already a field that does exactly that: the description. It allows users to describe the problem in as much detail as they wish, including its impact, and unlike a drop-down list, is not limited to common issues. I don't see what an additional field to repeat this information in vague terms will do to help anyone.

+1. Also note that vague or misleading descriptions are common, users
often don't respond to bugs with more information, and in extreme
cases, bugs get closed due to a lack of activity. Adding a field that
basically says "it's broken" (in a variety of weird and wonderful
ways) won't help with improving descriptions.