Shuttleworth on Wine

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:31:35 CDT 2009

2009/5/8 Nicklas Börjesson <Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se>:
> And the *rest* of the world DO revolve around a few applications.
> That is why they think so.

No, the rest of the world does not revolve around a few applications,
it's just that the #1 complaint against free operating systems has
been traditionally "it won't run Photoshop". In my experience, most
people who argue this don't even care about it, and in fact some
people miss the point entirely and dismiss Wine as "not a solution",
because they expect it to run natively, fluidly, with complete desktop
integration etc.

>>Though, I must say, the majority of people I see/hear using Photoshop
>>*are* using it as a toy/hobby, not for 'real' work, i.e., a full time
>>job.
>
> I have the same impression. And most haven't paid for it either.
> Anyway, that really isn't important.

Except that WineHQ does not officially support pirated software (it
may run, but you'll get no official help getting it to run or work
properly).

> The important thing is that they want it, no why.

As it stands, yes, the fact that they want it is more important than
why. It's also unimportant to Wine's goals (which is for *all*
applications to run, not just Photoshop), and should not be considered
a factor in determining when the next release is ready.