WINE Intel

MD.IMAM HOSSAIN imamdxl8805 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 04:17:43 CDT 2009

Dear WINE Developers,

Good morning. A great journey to WINE's Direct3D support since the beginning
of its life time.
Now it is so mature that I can play big games like FIFA 2006-2009, Need For
Speed ProStreet, Need For Speed Undercover, Hitman Blood Money and so many
easily.
It already has Shader Model 1, Shader Model 2, Shader Model 3 support.
What is I am going to say is that all of the bits of 3D it has are only and
fully supported on nVidia based graphics card due to their superior Linux
driver.
But nVidia is not alone in the graphics card building field. There are other
manufacturer around them.
Majority of the C.P.U comes up with the INTEL integrated graphics card. We
all very well know that their Linux driver lack most of the modern 3D bits.
But most of the user do not know about that. They just get frustrated with
WINE.

Some DirectX 7 games runs very well in nVidia graphics card but not in
INTEL. Same thing is for some DirectX8, DirectX8.1.

I do not know but I suspect that WINE's various Direct3D code utilizes
OpenGL nVidia Extension or higher level OpenGL ARB Extension rather that
lower one.

That's why while INTEL OpenGL driver does support DirectX7, DirectX8 level
3D wine does not able to run many games on INTEL Linux graphics driver.
While those many games run on nVidia Linux driver.

I hope WINE will someday have better INTEL OpenGL support.

Your sincerely,
MD. IMAM HOSSAIN