[Article] WINE and the importance of application compatibility

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 20:53:58 CDT 2009

Steven Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure would be nice if we could convince the DoD they needed
>> a second source for Windows :-)
>>

> Maybe a big customer like the DoD would help but I am starting to
> doubt it. The situation I face with my day job, is that we can't even
> get support for certain applications in VMware. As soon as we say "we
> have a virtualized cluster" they balk. And we are talking about
> situations where we are spending millions of dollars on our software
> and are going to be supporting it in house. With that sort of
> reaction, it leads me to think we are never going to make major
> inroads except for the end users at home or the people buying Linux
> netbooks.

Stephen:

Many companies don't trust Open Source.  They just don't have the assets
to do a proper code sweep and to see that we do not want to swipe their
secrets, but give them something better.  Of course, we all know the
outcome of the Windows versus OS/2 wars:  Windows won and the best
product went home (it is still available by the way.)

James McKenzie