[shell32] Improve the Dutch 'about' message box

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon May 18 04:51:42 CDT 2009

2009/5/16 Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009, Reece Dunn wrote:
> [...]
>> What I would like to do is get an automated (or semi-automated) tool,
>> ideally with a GUI interface to it. That would ultimately put the
>> designer in charge. Hopefully, this would also mean that you have a
>> base resource file that produces the English resources and generate
>> the others using the standard po files - thus making it easier to
>> translate.
>
> Yes, handling the translation of Wine's resource files would be really
> nice. It would let us leverage a lot of the po tools, especially the
> website based ones. This would make it much easier for users to
> contribute to the translations (right now it's pretty intimidating). I'm
> not sure how to handle the widget layout though.

I was thinking of some sort of auto-layout logic, using bounding box
calculations and metric information fed from Windows guidelines. The
idea here is to give a consistent layout and make it easier to add new
controls.

I am aware that this is very complex, and I don't yet know how to
transform the flat layout to a hierarchical layout that contains the
box information necessary to do the reflow calculations.

> But I have just stumbled on this pair of tools from the
> translate-toolkit packag (on Debian) that seem to be made just for this
> purpose:
>
>  * po2rc
>   convert Gettext PO localization files to Windows Resource (.rc) files
>   http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/rc2po
>
>  * rc2po
>   convert .rc files to Gettext PO localization files
>   http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/rc2po
>

> I don't have time to play with them but with luck someone else does.
> Getting it going with Wine would be really great.

Nor do I, and others are probably better qualified than me to answer.

- Reece