[shell32] Improve the Dutch 'about' message box

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon May 18 07:56:51 CDT 2009

2009/5/18 Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009, Reece Dunn wrote:
> [...]
>> I was thinking of some sort of auto-layout logic, using bounding box
>> calculations and metric information fed from Windows guidelines. The
>> idea here is to give a consistent layout and make it easier to add new
>> controls.
>>
>> I am aware that this is very complex, and I don't yet know how to
>> transform the flat layout to a hierarchical layout that contains the
>> box information necessary to do the reflow calculations.
>
> If we go that route, we should probably start from a bounding box-based
> description of the dialogs, and then generate both the English and the
> localized dialogs.
>
> For instance the glade format seems to be bounding-box based. It also
> probably already has tools to handle localization. So we could probably
> start from a English glade file describing a dialog, generate localized
> versions of that file, and then, for each language, pass the dialog
> through our bounding-box calculator to convert that to coordinates and
> generate the corresponding rc files.

Yes. That would be a better way for storing the information.

The advantage of choosing something like the Glade format is that we
could then take advantage of the editors for the format, so the Wine
developers can edit the dialogs visually. A similar thing for the
menus.

The question here (which applies to any direction that is taken) is
whether the format that is chosen can represent all the information in
the RC file.

The first step would be getting the RC <==> Box format conversion
working reliably. Then adding the translation on top of that using the
PO/gettext framework.

- Reece