DXTn textures in D3DX9

Tony Wasserka tony.wasserka at freenet.de
Sat May 23 04:13:01 CDT 2009

Ben Klein schrieb:
> 2009/5/23 Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at>:
>
>> Am Freitag, 22. Mai 2009 19:15:22 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
>>
>>> So what they are saying is that Nvidia has a license on the s3tc
>>> patent for use in those tools but if we would rip their code out we
>>> wouldn't be covered unless (but that is gray area) we put all their
>>> image code in wine (which would be impossible since it is C++).
>>> Perhaps if we want to be safe we could ask s3 for a license for use in
>>> Wine?
>>>
>> Hmm. My idea would have been to link against this lib, but if it is C++ it
>> makes troubles.
>>

> Interestingly enough, nvidia-texture-tools is MIT license and provides
> no provision for patent protection. In theory, a fork of this project
> to C would be linkable with Wine without legal issues.

Their FAQ states that "[we] don't have to obtain a license of the S3TC
patent to use any of NVIDIA's products" but
it also adds that "certain uses of NVIDIA Texture Tools source code
cannot be considered NVIDIA products
anymore." Thus, forking the project and integrating it into Wine would
probably have the same legal status as
writing an own S3TC (de)compressor within Wine.
Seems like asking for a license or directly using the binaries of this
lib are the only options we have then. Forking NVIDIA TT and disable it
by default would probably not be accepted by AJ I guess...