wine on MacOS 10.5.7: 3/4 success

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon May 25 06:19:57 CDT 2009

Steven Edwards wrote:
>There is a reason you may want to roll your own freetype. I don't
>believe the freetype that ships with even the latest Xorg dpkg
>contains support for the patented bytecode stuff or subpixel rendering
>enabled. I could be wrong about needing to do it (perhaps I have an
>old version floating around), but I rolled my own freetype with it
>enabled and enabled the proper keys in Wine and can hardly see a
>difference in Safari or Wine iexplore rendering winehq.org

Very interesting. Indeed I forgot to mention that fonts do not look
good in regular wine GUI windows using my native compile and XQuartz'
FreeType. Putting two wine desktops side by side on the Mac display,
a) ssh -X to a linux box (i.e. wine running on Linux, X display on the Mac)
b) Mac native
shows the disaster, solely running winecfg:
- The Linux fonts in winecfg look sharp (1 pixel wide), while e.g. the
  Mac's 'W' looks bulky. Both the Tahoma sample text and the regular
  system text are affected.
- Text needs more horizontal room (is this lack of grid-fitting?), so
  e.g. the copyright text in winecfg overflows into the "registered owner"
  input box area as it needs one more line of text to display the same words.

OTOH, Mike Kronenberg's 1.1.20 winecfg looks as good as the Linux one.

What keys in Wine do you mean precisely? My Mac has subpixel rendering
disabled on my LCD, but it uses shades of grey (hinting or anti-aliasing?) for most fonts.
Neither Terminal.app use hinting, nor winecfg: plain black&white.
I don't have any particular registry key set in Linux.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle