PowerPC MacOSX work...

mghughes at embarqmail.com mghughes at embarqmail.com
Mon May 25 13:33:28 CDT 2009

No No No People...  Please read the messages before replying.

I know the difference betweeen my 6502, 6800, Z80, 68k, x86, 7400.  I
know Wine is focused on running MSWindows based software on x86
processors.  I also know there exists PowerPC code in the wine project
because people were interested in bridging the gap to running x86 code
via emulation...

For the record...  I am not looking to run another full out emulation.
The best example of what I have in mind is what Apple did when they
moved their processor base from 68K to PPC.  And I am wondering if the
same could be done for Wine.  By the looks of things some of the
framework to make that happen are already there in the form of thunk
code...  Apple used what they called trampolines iirc.

I am not sure that WineLib is what I am looking to use as the wine
script & loader seems to achieve much of what I am already looking to
do.

My understanding is that Wine has run on PowerPC at some time via
native and Qemu/Qemu-user.  Since the Darwine (PowerPC work) project
went dormant, I have not been able to find much of the information I am
looking for...  What was the last known Wine/Darwine version known to
work on PowerPC?  I some had thoughts of getting that version and
progressing forward to see what and where things break.

Am I mistaken that the connection between wine/server appears to be
broken?

My previous statements in my first message still apply.

Michael