PowerPC MacOSX work...

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:49:43 CDT 2009

Please bottom-post on wine mailing lists.

2009/5/26  <mghughes at embarqmail.com>:
> No No No People...  Please read the messages before replying.
>
> I know the difference betweeen my 6502, 6800, Z80, 68k, x86, 7400.  I know
> Wine is focused on running MSWindows based software on x86 processors.  I
> also know there exists PowerPC code in the wine project because people were
> interested in bridging the gap to running x86 code via emulation...

So you also know you can't run x86 apps on PPC platforms without
emulation, just like you can't run z80 code on x86 without emulation.
Also, where is this PPC code in Wine exactly? What source file
exactly?

> For the record...  I am not looking to run another full out emulation.  The
> best example of what I have in mind is what Apple did when they moved their
> processor base from 68K to PPC.  And I am wondering if the same could be
> done for Wine.  By the looks of things some of the framework to make that
> happen are already there in the form of thunk code...  Apple used what they
> called trampolines iirc.

I believe 68k and PPC are architecturally quite similar, along the
lines of the 80386 (which has 16bit and 32bit modes). With Windows
programs being x86 apps, the translation between the two architectures
is very tricky (as has been previously noted on this thread).

> I am not sure that WineLib is what I am looking to use as the wine script &
> loader seems to achieve much of what I am already looking to do.

Winelib would be good if you had the source code for your Win32/Win16
apps and wanted to produce PPC binaries of them. Sounds like that's
not what you're trying to do though.