Wine on OpenBSD, Theo de Raadt

Yann Droneaud yann at droneaud.fr
Thu Nov 5 10:31:52 CST 2009

Le jeudi 05 novembre 2009 à 17:01 +0100, Marcus Meissner a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:21:47PM +0100, Yann Droneaud wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In a recent post ( <http://lwn.net/Articles/360312/> ), Theo de Raadt is
> > criticising Linux page 0 handling.
> > He argue that Linux allows page 0 mapping only for Wine.
> > And OpenBSD won't allow page 0 mapping for security reasons (and
> > performance reasons).
> >
> > Since Wine seems to be working on other *BSD and derivative systems,
> > is this a problem ?
> >
> > Could someone comment on this issue. I don't find anything related on
> > <http://wiki.winehq.org/OpenBSD>
>
> Its actually not a real problem for Wine, last years code works without
> NULL pages.

It seems many people thinks Wine needs to mmap the page 0 to run common
application.

Does Wine 1.0 need it ?

If not, it's really a myth.

> Our DOS emulator requires it, as vm86() mode uses 0 based mapping,
> so DOS programs won't work afterwards. But otherwise I see no dependency.
> (Perhaps Win16, but I dont think so.)

According to this post from Alexandre Julliard, win16 don't need it.

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-vm86-mode-is-not-supported-p23884662.html

Perhaps it could be good point if there's a way to disable DOS emulator
at build time ?

Regards

--
Yann Droneaud