had trouble compiling today

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 5 19:26:09 CST 2009

>Looks like a gcc compiler bug, so you will need to report it there
>and/or to the Ubuntu bug tracker.
>
>Out of interest:
>  a/  did this work when you were running karmic?
Yes. Worked always with Karmic. Worked yesterday with Lucid. But downloaded new gcc today, and new git. So it's one or the other.

>  b/  what does "gcc --version" produce?
gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.2-1ubuntu3) 4.4.2

>  c/  is this an incremental build from a previous build on karmic?
Yes. (In fact, it's pre-alpha lucid.) It may well be that there is a new gcc that depends on a new something else that hasn't been released yet.

>  d/  what happens if you clean out all build files (running "git
>clean -fxd" in ~/wine will do this if ~/wine is a clone of the wine
>git repository) and do a build -- does that resolve the issue?
Oh, that's a nice command. I'll have to remember that one.
Nothing happens.

>NOTE: You should still report this to gcc/Ubuntu.
Noted. Reported. Bug filed.

>- Reece

As I was getting ready to send this I noted another gcc floating by aptitude, so I gave that one a spin. No luck. The problem persists, but I bet the developers know about it.