libsmbclient and wine?

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 09:02:58 CST 2009

2009/10/23 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> Hi folks,
> it's often been said that wine can't use libsmbclient because
> of license problems.   I'd like to look at that assumption a bit.
>
> - What would wine like to use libsmbclient for, if it could?
>
> - Would it suffice to just link it in to wineserver, or would
> it need to be invoked directly by all sorts of dlls?
>
> - Would we just use the system's libsmbclient (I hope so)
> rather than trying to import its source?
>
> Also, fwiw, I think the Samba guys are willing to multiplex
> their listening daemon so Wine could handle incoming
> named pipe requests if we want to.

libsmbclient would need to be linked into wineserver to properly
implement handles to named pipes that can be inherited by child
processes (and to be allow the handle to be accepted by all of the
functions that take a handle without large modifications).

However, having 3rd party code linked into the wineserver probably
gives many people the heebie-jeebies, given how critical the
wineserver is to allowing wine processes to continue to run and the
special rules of coding in the wineserver - not blocking, for one.

--
Rob Shearman