The user32/win test crashes X on Intel cards

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Nov 8 05:17:22 CST 2009

I hit this issue while trying to run winetest for WineConf. I looked
into it and the crash is caused by this line in dlls/user32/tests/win.c:

   SetWindowPos(hwnd, 0, 32768, 40000, 32768, 40000, SWP_NOMOVE);

More precisely it's the setting of the window width and height to
32768 x 40000 that causes the crash. Looking at the .xsession-errors
file I see the window manager reporting the following X server error:

Anomalie dans le gestionnaire de fenêtres : Unexpected X error: BadAlloc
(insufficient resources for operation) serial 11940 error_code 11
request_code 53 minor_code 0)

Is it possible that this is just an out of memory issue caused by the
huge window size? According to my tests 32000x32000 (a tad < 3GB) works
but 32767x32767 (a tad >3GB) cause the crash.

Here's my configuration:
 * Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3
 * VideoRAM: 256MB (according to /var/log/Xorg.0.log)
 * xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.0-1
   Latest from Debian Testing.
   Debian Unstable does not seem to have a more recent driver.

Marcus got the same issue and he had an Intel card too and we were the
only two with this issue. So apparently this is Intel-specific.

Does any one have an Intel card where this does not happen? What's your
driver version?