To error out or to skip tests?

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:26:59 CST 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009 13:21:45 Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:

> The picture on test.winehq.org is a disaster: None of the w95, w98, nt4,
> 2k, 2k3, Vista, 2k8, w7 machines have performed winmm:wave tests!
> They all have no sound configured.  Mostly useless.

By extension of your logic, all results from Windows machines < Vista and from
most Wine boxes are useless for ws2_32 tests, as they all don't have IPv6
configured so the IPv6 tests skip. To pick up on Nate's idea, I'd request that
everybody adds a -ipv4 or -ipv6 suffix to the names of the test reports.

Additionally, no single test machine runs as part of a windows AD or even NT4
domain. Thus, a couple of advapi32 tests are skipped, making them worthless.
Perhaps people should add a -nodomain suffix to their test report names.

If I make all of those tests error out, I'll be drowning real test failures in
the noise of configuration issues. I think the same thing applies to your
sound tests. Btw, just ask the d3d folks about their woes with (almost)
everybody running their windows-based tests on virtual machines, making a lot
of the d3d tests useless. Not to mention that there's many people who run
hardware with really lousy graphics drivers. Having to skip tests because the
system's configuration does not support running them is just something we need
to deal with.

Kai

PS: I was joking about the suffixes. Just to make that clear. I don't want to
go having to call my test boxes win2k3-kb-vb-nosound-domain-noadmin-ipv6-ie7-
bluebg-classictheme-en_IE-nodotnet

--
Kai Blin
WorldForge developer  http://www.worldforge.org/