Question on using winedbg when program does not crash, just becomes unresponsive

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Nov 9 08:34:03 CST 2009

Susan asked:
> [What can you do to get a backtrace of a hung app that won't hang when you run it in winedbg?]

I ran into this last week and added a note to

http://wiki.winehq.org/Backtraces

"Alternately, instad of info process / attach, you can do 'bt all' to
get backtraces of all threads in all running processes. This is handy
when debugging hangs."

That's not a very clear explanation, but what it means is:
  start winedbg without any app
  say 'bt all' in winedbg
Voila, you now have backtraces for every process, including the hung one.
It's your job to get that into a text file and remove the uninteresting ones...