[Fwd: 64bit wine]

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 03:18:23 CST 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/11/11 Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com>:
>> For fedora it will not be possible to do a special 32bit compile on the x86_64
>> arch.
>
> Wait ... no gcc -m32 on Fedora x86_64?
The compiler is not the problem but the missing i586 libraries+headers
in the x86_64 build tree.

>> Hence the only way is to have the default x86_32 version and a x86_64
>> version to be parallel installable. While it may be possible to use a different
>> WINEPREFIX for the x86_64 version (which would have been my short term
>> solution) it is not desirable for the users.
>
> Until WIne's WoW64 implementation works (which from what you said
> before may be never), users will have to put up with separated 64bit
Huh? Wine's WoW64 is well underway and is the feature that will make
Wine reach the 1.2 milestone.

> and 32bit Windows apps. The best solution is to use a separate
> WINEPREFIX.
The solution is for distributions to not ship Wine64 to the users yet.

> Note that they would have the same issues if they were running Windows natively.
We know that. I have forwarded the email basically as a follow-up to the
WineConf 64bit session. We (as in Wine) needs to speed up the Wine64
documentation for our downstream packagers. I'll start it once i get a
free round tuit.

bye
	michael