Where to receive MCI PostMessageW notifications?

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Wed Nov 11 07:12:35 CST 2009

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> the MCI relies on notification to implement auto-open correctly. When
> the command is done, it must send out a notification via PostMessageW.
> The receiver then ought to call mciClose.
>
> One possible implementation would be to have auto-open start a thread
> that does nothing else but wait for this message to arrive, then call
> mciClose.  I wonder if there's something more lightweight than a
> thread (this is not Erlang) that could be used inside Wine.
>
> What could be used that reacts asynchronously to PostMessageW?
>
> Currently, the missing auto-open functionality causes
>  - unclosed files (some seen as error messages when Wine exits)
>    (here it is essential that the notification works 100%)
>  - some application hangs, some of them in Bugzilla.
>
> Thanks,
>  Jörg Höhle

create a (hidden) window (in winmm) where you handle the mci
notification (which means you must force MCI_NOTIFY flag with this
window handle when sending a MCI command down to a driver)
I wonder how native does when no message loop exists in the application
(should be tested) (maybe peek for the notif message upon entrance of
some of the MCI funcs ?)

A+

--
Eric Pouech
"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot." (Douglas Adams)