today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 03:02:39 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Tom Wickline wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com
>> <mailto:jacek at codeweavers.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    The plan is that winetricks should not be used for installing Gecko.
>>

>> So you intentionally broke it?
>
> No, I was actually fixing the bug that caused the downloader to crash as you
> described. The downloader was *accidentally* broken some time ago and then
> I've decided that we need a better solution. That's why it was broken for a
> while. I didn't want to fix something that is broken by design.

Perhaps the downloader/installer could be automated? E.g., currently, doing:
$ rm -rf ~/.wine ; wineboot
brings up the installer, where the user only clicks install, nothing
else. Could an automated option be added, say:
$ wine iexplore.exe -install_gecko
that way winetricks can still install it for users quickly and
painlessly, without having to mess with sudo/etc.?

--
-Austin