today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:43:50 CST 2009

> However, I refuse to force the Wine
> package to depend on it because this wine-gecko-1.0 package doubles
> the required download (7.8MB wine-gecko-1.0, 7.8MB wine 1.1.33
> package). I realise that this will not be required to download on
> every upgrade, but I also can't predict when wine-gecko releases are
> made.

What's the download size got to do with anything?  Do you want to
force people to use an old, unsupported version of Wine because its
download size is smaller?  Please, don't conflate unrelated issues.

> say it is". If this was something like, e.g., my decision to not
> separate OpenGL from the core Wine package, it wouldn't be a real
> problem (OpenGL support is used by the majority of Wine users, and
> takes up very little space in the binary distrobution), but it's not.

Says who?  Don't make unsupported claims, please.  I've never used
OpenGL support in Wine, but I have used gecko.

Jacek's justification has been the number of bugs that are closed
invalid due to an invalid configuration.  Strongly encouraging people
to install gecko would reduce the time we all spend looking at bogus
bug reports.  Personally, I think that's worth considering, especially
because developer man hours are perhaps the most scarce resource for
the Wine project.
--Juan