today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Nov 17 04:58:10 CST 2009

Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/11/17 Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com>:
>>> If a previously-optional component is now deemed to be mandatory, and
>>> that component *on its own* happens to double the download size
>>> required to install Wine, I consider that a problem. Not everyone has
>>> a cable or ADSL2+ connection.
>>
>> Yes, but it's not updated as frequently.
>
> What guarantee is there of this in the future? In fact, if you can
> guarantee that there will never be another update to Gecko, then the
> argument on the size of Gecko disappears.

Obviously there will be some updates, and obviously they are not as
frequent as Wine releases. Since Gecko was added there have been 3
updates, for 56 Wine releases in the same period. The download size is
not a valid argument.

>>> How can you possibly justify this?
>>
>> Is this to me?  I didn't say that.
>
> No, you didn't. But how can you support a scheme where running "wine
> cmd /c echo yes" prompts for Gecko download?

It's not running cmd that needs it, it's creating a new functional Wine
prefix. Like it or not, there are many things that need to be part of a
proper Windows environment, and we can't predict which will be needed,
or install everything on demand. That's not how Windows works.

Yes, the download dialog is annoying, but once most packages do the
right thing we can take it down and put up a "mshtml support broken,
complain to your packager" dialog box instead.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org