today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Tue Nov 17 10:09:19 CST 2009

Peter Urbanec wrote:
> Vincent Povirk wrote:
>> Distro-specific packages just put the
>> .cab file in the right place. Gecko binaries target windows, not unix
>> (hence the need for mingw) so they really just depend on a functional
>> x86 Wine.
>
> There's a lot of talk about the new Gecko requirement. At the end of
> the day, adding the .cab file to a binary distribution was a trivial
> 10 minute exercise. It took another 20 minutes to test everything and
> figure out that the wiki page was wrong and the .cab file needs to go
> in $PREFIX/share/wine/gecko NOT in $PREFIX/share/gecko. The wiki page
> is now fixed, so it really should be trivial to add the gecko runtime
> to most binary distributions.

Sorry about that. I've noticed it trying to help Vincent to install Gecko.

> Yes, my new wine binary package has doubled in size due to a HTML
> component that is actually never used directly by the target
> application. A bit of a bother, but if the inclusion of the gecko
> binary blob as a .cab file means more reliable wine runtime, it's a
> small price to pay.
> At the end of the day, the only objection I have is the fact that
> building the binary release of the .cab file from source is such an
> ordeal. It would be nice if the requirement for gecko could be
> satisfied as part of the normal wine build process.
>
> Jacek, any ideas on what could/should be done to align the Gecko build
> process with the wine build process? Is it possible to have minimal
> Win32 stubs and keep most of the Gecko engine native?

Unfortunately it's not so easy. We would have to compile Gecko with
winelib target. We already have a lots of problems with Mozilla build
system to cross compile it and I'm expecting much more problems if we
tried to use winelib. Perhaps someday it will be possible, but wouldn't
expect it in the near future. Also it would mean that the build wouldn't
be portable across distros, but it's not an issue for distro packages.

Jacek