today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:33:25 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Peter Urbanec <winehq.org at urbanec.net> wrote:
> There's a lot of talk about the new Gecko requirement. At the end of the
> day, adding the .cab file to a binary distribution was a trivial 10 minute
> exercise. It took another 20 minutes to test everything and figure out that
> the wiki page was wrong and the .cab file needs to go in
> $PREFIX/share/wine/gecko NOT in $PREFIX/share/gecko. The wiki page is now
> fixed, so it really should be trivial to add the gecko runtime to most
> binary distributions.

While I am much less annoyed now that things are working, I'd still
like to see an option for specifying the .cab file path at run time,
and for disabling the dialog completely. Maybe I'll write some
patches.

And apparently the difficult build process is being worked on but is a
hard problem to solve, so I'm satisfied with that. It's good to know
there aren't any real closed-source components needed to build, just
unusual versions / changes to open-source components.

It sounds like the the unusual version requirements and hacks are
mostly the result of bugs in other projects that are tracked in their
bug trackers, and of the need to build a PE gecko on Linux rather than
a winelib gecko (which is itself needed because of the difficult build
process, which is because of bugs in other projects). Is this
accurate?

--
Vincent Povirk