Resetting screen resolution on crash

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:40:02 CST 2009

I was reading the brief summary on WineConf (
http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/171) and saw an interesting item:

> We need some help from Freedesktop.org for solving bug 10841.  Essentially
> we need a standard way of saying “hey reset the resolution when I’m done,
> even if I crash.” I was “volunteered” for the task of approaching the
> respective projects.

I believe this is a case that we can detect on our own, attached is a small
standalone example of using fork() in such a way that you could reset the
screen resolution even if an application crashed.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu