New valgrind results, this time with overrun checks and lots of new errors.

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Nov 19 12:09:05 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Nikolay Sivov <bunglehead at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://kegel.com/wine/valgrind/logs/2009-11-18-21.51/
>> is the first full run with the heap tail check enabled.
>
> So you use some private patches for that, why aren't they merged?

'Cause I just wrote it an hour before that message?
I already posted it to wine-devel for the curious.
I'll try to post to wine-patches today or so.
In the meantime I've updated
http://wiki.winehq.org/Valgrind
to link to the patch.

I'm not sure about the user (i.e. developer) interface for turning the heap
check on.  Should it be automatic when one does warn+heap?
Or should it need an environment variable or registry setting to
turn it on?  How should the user control the size of the redzone
(a feature Microsoft doesn't seem to offer)?

For what it's worth, Windows seems to turn the debug heap on
by default when running apps under a debugger, and lets you disable it
by setting the environment variable _NO_DEBUG_HEAP=1.
That makes me think we should turn this feature on automatically
under warn+heap.
For finer control, setting _NO_DEBUG_HEAP=1 would disable it,
and setting WINE_HEAP_REDZONE would let you pick how big a redzone
to use.  (Usually 16 bytes is enough, but I've seen bugs that misses
but 64 bytes catches.)
- Dan