oleaut - SysAllocString/SysFreeString

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 04:49:30 CDT 2009

Peter Dons Tychsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 12:56 +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>> If even Windows 7 behaves that way I figure
>> we'll have to provide that "feature" too. Else the application is
>> buggy
>> and won't work on all Windows versions either.
>
> Even if it did not work in win-7, then it could still be worth fixing.
Of course, if the cost benefit ratio makes it worthwhile to include.

> The thing that would make it a "wont-fix" was if the fix made it
> directly incompatible with win-7.
Not really; even that could be handled if it is important enough.

> There is lots of old win-3.11 and win-95 software which only runs on
> Wine (does not e.g. run on my work-XP machine). Changing this attitude
> towards legacy software would be a loss as i think it attracts many to
> use Wine to begin with.
I said only that the application is buggy and didn't imply that Wine
shouldn't support it. But it is way easier to get a questionable
behavior of the Win32 API (iff applications depend on that) into Wine if
all Windows versions implement it consistently.

> I think the fix that Markus is brewing on is the the kind of details
> that makes Wine so great! :-)

bye
	michael