Requesting comments on patchset to fix Bug 7929 (C&C 3 network does not work)

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:56:51 CDT 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 01:15:17 Juan Lang wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> it seems to me that if this is the best we can do, we're fixing it at
> the wrong layer.  Surely putting the fix in the Linux kernel would be
> much smaller in code size, and higher performing, as we wouldn't have
> to filter packets in user space.

Been there, got wristslapped. The network subsystem maintainer of the Linux
kernel is pretty clear that he won't add quirky windows behaviour to the
Linux network stack just so Wine can get some apps to work.

Erich's work seems to be the first real solution to a problem that affects a
couple of games with developers who didn't get networking right. I'm pretty
sure this only works by accident on windows as well, it'll break on
dual-homed windows hosts just the way it breaks on Wine.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin