RFC: ntdll: Implement CDROM_GetInterfaceInfo() on Mac OS (try 2)

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Oct 22 15:32:29 CDT 2009

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Charles Davis <cdavis at mymail.mines.edu> writes:
>
>> Or, maybe not. I could be totally wrong about that. Maybe what you
>> really want is for me to get an FD from mountmgr so I can talk to it at
>> will. I don't know.
>>
>> We can even add the FD to mountmgr's run loop (via a CFFileDescriptor
>> object), or if you prefer, we can do the traditional select() or poll()
>> loop. (But why spawn another thread just for that?)
>
> No, nothing of the kind. You wouldn't talk to mountmgr at all. All you
> would do is do an ioctl on an NT device, and that would magically get
> routed to the right place. Look at how IOCTL_STORAGE_GET_DEVICE_NUMBER
> is handled for a hard disk device for instance.

OK, now I'm thoroughly confused. What's the purpose of getting an FD
from mountmgr in all this? And what the hell am I trying to do in the
first place?! (Sorry for the language, but I just don't understand what
you're getting at.)

Am I wasting your time? Because I've exchanged more correspondence with
you over this than most people do over other issues.

Chip