d3d10

"Luis C. Busquets Pérez" luis.busquets at ilidium.com
Thu Oct 29 15:29:31 CDT 2009

Dear all,

Since d3d10effect has advanced a lot during the latest weeks I was
wondering what are the next steps that you are planning to develop.

In particutar, I wonder about:
1. Do DepthStencil and RasterizerState present major differences in
terms of capabilities compared to D3D9? I mean that coding
ID3D10EffectDepthStencilVariable
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418970%28VS.85%29.aspx> is
very easy once you have ID3D10DepthStencilState (just call
ID3D10Device_CreateDepthStencilState for
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173546%28VS.85%29.aspx>ID3D10EffectDepthStencilVariable::GetDepthStencilState
and
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173641%28VS.85%29.aspx>ID3D10EffectDepthStencilVariable::GetBackingStore
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173640%28VS.85%29.aspx>
should only be recovering the data from a private variable).
Furthermore,  ID3D10Device::OMSetDepthStencilState is just a bunch of
IWineD3DDevice_SetRenderState calls because I think that wined3d already
implements all the required functionality, doesn't it?.
ID3D10Device::OMGetDepthStencilState
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173593%28VS.85%29.aspx> would
be a bunch of IWineD3DDevice_GetRenderState.
ID3D10EffectRasterizerVariable.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173640%28VS.85%29.aspx>
presents the analogous thing (together with ID3D10Device::RSSetState),
doesn't it?
2. For ID3D10EffectBlendVariable
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418962%28VS.85%29.aspx> I
think that that is different. what are the major difficulties concerning
the capabilities that D3D10 offers compared to D3D9 conerning blending
and do you see them achievable beofre this year ends?
3. Last, for ID3D10Device::RSGetViewports/ID3D10Device::RSSetViewports
and ID3D10Device::RSGetScissorRects/ID3D10Device::RSSetScissorRects, the
difficulty may lay in accepting in the wine driver more thatn one
rect/viewport. Do you agree? Are you planning an upgrade in wined3d to
refer to *rect rather than rect in the stateblock definition? The
analogous question applies to viewports.

I was wondering all that because I am considering asking Santa for D3D10
games for next Christmas and would like to know the roadmap of wine
D3D10 development.