libsmbclient and wine?

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 06:11:28 CDT 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009 22:26:49 Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi folks,
> it's often been said that wine can't use libsmbclient because
> of license problems.   I'd like to look at that assumption a bit.
>
> - What would wine like to use libsmbclient for, if it could?

Reading files from remote systems via UNC paths would come to mind, as well as
NBT lookups.

> - Would it suffice to just link it in to wineserver, or would
> it need to be invoked directly by all sorts of dlls?

For the UNC path part, we need the logic in the redirector, which probably
should be located in the wineserver. For the NBT part, this needs to be called
from netapi32. We might be able to do nbt lookups via an LGPL library via
winbind, though. The catch is of course that we'd have to have a running
winbindd for that.

> - Would we just use the system's libsmbclient (I hope so)
> rather than trying to import its source?

We'd use the system library.

> Also, fwiw, I think the Samba guys are willing to multiplex
> their listening daemon so Wine could handle incoming
> named pipe requests if we want to.

Technically, we (wearing my Samba hat) will have to implement something
that'll allow multiplexing the named pipe handling in one of our daemons. But
from our last conversation on the subject, we seem to be ready to do that if
needed.

Cheers,
Kai

--