Mirror Space

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Sep 1 23:14:57 CDT 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/9/2 Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:
>> Austin English wrote:
>>> Since when is a mirror a bad thing?
>>>
>> It isn't, of course, however it can't replace the role of apt server
>> (which would require users to manually alter their sources.list file).
>
> Just like how they have to alter their sources.list to get to
> budgetdedicated in the first place? The point is that they have a
> backup solution for when the main apt server is down.
>
> Note that Debian mirrors are apt mirrors and are occasionally out of
> sync - c'est la vie - and the installer actually asks you what mirror
> you want to use so it can configure sources.list.

The budgetdedicated actually was mirrored for a while (using nslookup
round-robin redirection) and it created a bunch of problems.

It's more reliable to just have a mirror of the archive page and let
people install manually in the case that it's offline, since I seriously
don't expect another outage like this again.  Then the manual install
will be updated automagically on the next release when the server comes
back up.

It was only offline for the whole weekend because I was physically out
of town away from the internet and genuinely unaware of it.  I should
probably give someone my phone number so they can text me if needed.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie