Is Wine printing on MacOSX?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 4 13:28:31 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmail.com>

>On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Dylan Smith<dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM, <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> although wine in MacOSX works generally good enough (see test.winehq.org about
>>> release 1.1.28), I recently visited the print menu in notepad and wordpad to
>>> see whether printing would work (in order to complete the FAQ).
>>>
>>> All that happened is that the printer ejected a blank page.
>>>

>> Don't expect printing to work in wordpad for now.   The EM_FORMATRANGE
>> message is used in wordpad to do printing, and that isn't implemented
>> yet.
>>
>> I think notepad should work though, since it is using ExtTextOut.
>>

>I have been able to print from Wine apps in OSX though I'm still
>having some issues which I did not investigate yet. The issue is that
>when I print from my app which uses non-standard fonts with some
>integral / summation symbols that those symbols are lost during the
>printing and that a 'square' is shown instead. I don't see this issue
>on Linux.

Interesting.  I was going to comment that the EM_FORMATRANGE problem may be the cause, but this may be due to the CUPS implementation or some other reason on the Mac.  Unfortunately, my only printer, which was an inkjet, would have cost as much to repair as it would to buy a new one.  I guess it may be time to buy another, but this time its going to be a laser, not ink.

James McKenzie