fixing ReadDirectoryChangesW()

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 12 18:26:01 CDT 2009

Mike Kaplinskiy wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>> Michael Pujos wrote:
>>
>>> I'm willing to resubmit this patch with updated tests
>>> against current Wine, but before I procceed
>>> I need to be sure it won't be rejected simply because it changes the protocol.
>>>
>> Server changes are tricky to get in.
>> You have to be patient and persistent.
>> I think your best next move is to file a bug describing the problem
>> (and give the URL for the app it affects for you, if possible),
>> and submit just the tests first (with appropriate todo_wine
>> lines where wine gets it wrong currently).
>> All that is useful, and a good first step towards getting
>> the bug fixed.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> - Dan
>>

> I took a look at your patch - a few notes:
>  - if you're changing the server protocol, change protocol.def and
> then run tools/make_requests
>  - you have spacing problems in your patch. make sure you match the
> spacing format in the file
>  - your patch does too many changes - split it up into multiple
> patches with each one changing one thing so its easier to review.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mike.

Adding a comment here:

First, submit the tests with todo_wine wrappers around them to prove
that the functions exist in Windows.  Let that patch work through and
get any fixes needed to work with all versions of Windows from Windows95
through Windows 2008 server.

Next, work your code so that the tests pass functionality expected by
each of the different versions of Windows.  Some programs will NOT run
on XP but require 98SE functionality.

Then submit one fix per dll directory.  You can link the order so that
the patches will apply properly.  Wait for any errors and fallout to
happen and for them to be approved and applied to Wine code.  This may
be a lengthy process, but is worth it.

Lastly, submit a patch to remove the todo_wine wrappers.

BTW, I'm working on a bug that has existed since 2006 and the patch has
not been accepted, yet.

James McKenzie