porting winetricks to windows

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Sep 19 11:34:13 CDT 2009

Part of my http://wiki.winehq.org/UnitTestSuites effort is to
make it easy to write scripts that automate the
building of windows apps on wine or windows interchangably.

After a while of writing special purpose tool-install-scripts
that would work on either wine or windows, I realized that
I really just wanted winetricks to be my tool install script,
and that it should run on windows.   i.e. if you want firefox
on windows or wine, you should be able to do
"sh winetricks -q firefox" and have it appear.  Likewise, if
you happen to need the Windows 7 SDK for something
you're building, you should be able to say "sh winetricks -q psdkwin7"
and have it appear, no questions asked.  (Assuming
on windows that you have cygwin installed, of course.)

So I'm starting to make that happen.  Firefox works,
psdkwin7 is not quite working, and lots of verbs that
run windows apps still need their paths converted, but
it shouldn't be hard to get your favorite verb working
in both OS's now.