Wine in Tango

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Sep 21 04:41:26 CDT 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
[...]
> > shortcut.ico - the icon is oriented improperly. It needs to be
> > bottom-left and oriented so the arrow points towards the center.
>
> This is the orientation from Gnome. If you object this can be changed
> easily. Do it the way Windows does it, right?

Presumably the shortcut icon is going to be overlaid on top of another
icon by the Windows application. If that's indeed the case, its
orientation needs to match where the Windows application is going to
place it. If not, then matching Gnome would be just as well for better
desktop integration.

> > oic_hand.ico - That sign is fine, but I was nitpicky and modified the
> > SVG to match the original one.
>
> It's a good idea - again this is inherited from the Tango base set. The
> set seems ok to me.

If that one is modified, then certerror.bmp and smallicons.bmp will need
to be updated in cryptui.dll.

I don't care much about the white cross vs the wrong way sign. But if
switching to the white corss, it will also mean we'll have a white cross
in a red square and a white cross in a red circle and they won't have
the same meaning (just like on Windows).

> > dxdiag - The icon is way too similar to Mac OS X's logo. Use a
> > different styled X.
>
> Yes you're the third person to make that comment. I plan to redo it.

For me the X evokes the X server (even if one for the branches should be
finer). So this icon evokes configuring the X server which is a bit
puzzling. I don't think I could ever tie a single X to DirectX. So I'd
suggest replacing it with either 'DX' or '3D' (eventhough the latter is
a bit incorrect as dxdiag is about more than just 3D).

    I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape around here somewhere...