Wine in Tango

Ralf Jung ralfjung-e at gmx.de
Mon Sep 21 04:55:00 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

> I don't know if we can say this.  Only when our Wine-supplied icons are
> appearing near application-supplied icons do we gain some consistency by
> mimicing Windows style, but that consistency is confined to that
> particular app.  Most icons the user sees are instead going to be
> compared with the rest of the desktop and its applications, and adopting
> a Tango style rather than a Windows style is the only way to get that
> overall consistency.

> If we're not careful, Wine apps may continue to stick out rather than be
> just another part of the desktop.
If wine should integrate well with the surrounding Linux desktop, why don't you use the desktop icon set where possible? By using the Tango icons, wine applications will still stick out on almost all non-Gnome system (most notably KDE) as well as those Gnome desktops where the icon set was changed - that's not what I would call integration. I agree that the Tango icons are prettier than the one currently used, and as a result an improvement, but unfortunately they won't fix the "sticking out".

Kind regards,
Ralf Jung