Another proposal for your critique: improving .NET 3.5

Hans Leidekker hans at meelstraat.net
Thu Apr 1 02:43:59 CDT 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 06:15:41 John Koelndorfer wrote:

> DESCRIPTION
> In Wine daily (as of 3/31/2010) .NET fails to install. The Wine debugging
> output is riddled with stubs and fixmes. My initial work would be to examine
> which functions are needed by the installer and prioritize work on them.
> Priority would be given to blockers, obviously. Much of the work to be done
> seems to be in advapi and msi; I would work with more experienced developers
> in those areas to push patches through. I would expect this to take perhaps
> six weeks of time, though it is hard to say since it depends largely on what
> functions need to be implemented and how difficult implementation would be.

This is not something within GSOC scope in my opinion, I expect you will
need 6 weeks alone to get up to speed with the concepts of msi and patching.

In general I think it's better to identify a small set of APIs to implement
or improve instead of aiming for a broad goal like "improving .net 3.5",
which is hard to quantify and more likely to fail.

 -Hans