Mono integration

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 11:14:17 CDT 2010

I wrote a wiki page yesterday about the current state of Mono
integration in Wine and what I think needs to be done about it. That
is at: http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono

Basically, if you install Mono in Wine, Wine will use it to run .NET
programs. However, the combination doesn't work for any of the
programs I've tried. There are a number of things wrong (listed on the
wiki page), but none of them appear to affect a lot of programs.

My theory is that it just happens to not work very well because of
random bugs. I think it's important that we improve this, so that we
have an alternative to MS .NET. I am amazed that the licensing allows
us to use MS .NET now (if indeed it really does), and I don't know how
long that will continue.

So here is what I'd like to ask from the community:

* Try some .NET programs with Mono (use the mono26 verb in
winetricks), and file Wine bugs when they don't work. Even if the bug
is in Mono, we should investigate it and give them a nice report,
since we are using Mono in a strange way. Use the dotnet keyword.

* If an installer for something other than .NET tries to install .NET,
file a bug for that with the dotnet keyword.

* Someone other than me, please try to make a Windows build of Mono
and run the Mono test suite under Wine. I want to make sure that the
instructions make sense and that someone other than me can do this.