Working on "DOS" VGA.

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Thu Apr 1 13:20:29 CDT 2010

* On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am 01.04.2010 um 11:24 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
>
> > Myself I'm a bit worried about whether we should improve our DOS
> > support even further. The problem is that more and more people are
> > moving over to 64-bit Linux. While you can run 32-bit programs on a
> > 64-bit system, there is no protected mode support (vm86; there is
> > emulation in some cases using a kernel module).
>
> There's protected mode 32 bit, protected mode 16 bit, but no vm86 16
> bit. So no real mode apps in Wine. We'd need to integrate a CPU emulator
> or JIT compiler into Wine to get this working.

DOSBox does something like this already.  I lack ideas about to what
extent DOSBox could be integrated, but at least its CPU emulator could do.
Or maybe DOSBox could even be bridged/integrated and do all the DOS stuff
here?

Then IIRC there were discussions in the past about integrating Qemu into
Wine.  Some folks at Darwine have achieved this to some degree: [1]

That probably won't fly directly [2] but some aspects of the design of an
emulator integration can be investigated already, IMHO.

S.

[1] http://darwine.sourceforge.net/docs/dev-doc.xml
[2] http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-5804ec2bb090feaf81f572993444efd8ec2a8569