Working on "DOS" VGA.

Johan Gill johan.gill at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 07:00:42 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:
> * On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

>> > DOSBox does something like this already.  I lack ideas about to what
>> > extent DOSBox could be integrated, but at least its CPU emulator could
>> > do. Or maybe DOSBox could even be bridged/integrated and do all the
>> > DOS stuff here?
>> >
>> > Then IIRC there were discussions in the past about integrating Qemu into
>> > Wine.  Some folks at Darwine have achieved this to some degree: [1]
>>
>> AFAIK we can't integrate with DOSBox, Dosemu or FreeDOS for the same
>> reason we can't integrate with Samba: their GPL licence.
>
> I am profane at licensing, but does GPL restrict even usage of binary
> (linking, execution), or only a compilation of source code?

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the license is that you
cannot in general link to GPL code without making the whole binary
fall under GPL. The LGPL allows a program to link to it without
affecting the license of the program, though.

You can however have your non-GPL code execute a separate GPL binary
without affecting the legal state of your own code. The important part
is that the programs are kept separate.

/Johan Gill