regarding the participation in gsoc 2010

nitheesh kl n1th33sh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 01:08:59 CDT 2010

hello sir,
    i am nitheesh.k.l. i am a second year engineering student of computer
science studying in PES institute of technology,Bangalore,India. in this
summer i'm willing to participate in the google summer of code and i was
really interested in your idea to solve the vga display modes problem in
wine.
    i work on both windows and linux and previously used to work in dos. i
do most of my work in linux and i use wine to run some of my dos and windows
programs. but for a long time now i'm not able to run some of my dos
programs properly in wine. i've tried my ways but was not successful.since
people in wine have come forward to solve this i feel that i can work with
you guys to solve the problem.

my experience:
    as  mentioned before i used to work on dos and done some work in it.

1)    i written some small system diagnostics tools. the first is the ports
diagnostics tool.it helps the user to check whether his ports are working
fine or not.
    it includes both serial and parallel port and checks for all the baud
rated. it provides both software loop back and hardware tests for user
satisfaction, and         it also comes with an simple and attractive gui.
    i've also implemented a small tool just like norton utilities(NU in
dos)which is about 75% complete(could not complete as my exams started)
2)    i've also worked on building an editor in dos and as my part in it
i've created the gui for the editor.
    i've also designed a gui for an antivirus in dos
3)    last summer i developed some small games for some of the problems in
computer science of which the towers of hanoi is the major one.
    it has a gui which displays the disks of various sizes and the pegs to
move them around.it initially ask for the number of disk and once the
specified number of disks are created the user can then move them around
using the arrow keys to complete the solution. my major intention in
developing this is that the     younger students can use this to understand
the problem and its solution in a fun and enjoyable way.
4)    As a hobby ive also developed a software to burn the hex file to a
microcontroller. it has a very user friendly user interface(similar to turbo
c++) through which the user can select the required file and then dump it to
the device.it provides support for two major microcontroller used in our
college. the software displays the complete hex file,its ascii equivalent
and the actual hex code that runs on the device.

i feel that since i've worked on both platforms and personally experienced
the problem, i can and am interested in fixing the bugs. so with this
experience am i eligible to work with you in this years gsoc. if so then
i'll send my application immediately.i kindly request you to reply sir.

thank you.
Nitheesh