winetricks failed, expecting "system32" where I have "System32" and so on

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Fri Apr 9 08:45:56 CDT 2010

I just tried installing gdiplus using winetricks, on a debian testing
system.

This failed, as winetricks tried to copy stuff into windows/system32,
where I happen to have Windows/System32.

I first tried making symlinks windows->Windows and system32->System32.
winetricks would run, but the app using gdiplus.dll now failed to find
it. The file was in Windows/System32 as expected.

So I removed my links, and used search&replace on winetricks, to replace
all occurences of "windows" and "system32" with captialized versions.
Then I ran winetricks again. The installation succeeded this time too,
but the app could still not find the dll in System32.

I finally gave up and copied the dll into the directory where the app
is installed. This worked, but is problematic; it will have to be done
for every app that uses this dll.

Helge Hafting