Detecting patch sets

Wolfram Sang wolfram at the-dreams.de
Tue Apr 13 06:20:33 CDT 2010

>> you could, instead of only checking for the author, also try to check
>> for the maximum amount of patches. If you find patch [Patch 1/7], I
>> assume you currently wait for all 7 patches. Now if a patch 1/3 comes in
>> between, you'll see that the maximum is different, in this case 3, so
>> you'll know that it's a different patch-set.
>
> I thought about that, but the drawback is that a new patch set is started
> if the submitter mistypes the maximum (e.g. [1/4], [2/4], [3/5], [4/4]). In
> that case we end up with two incomplete sets.

This should be a pretty rare case given that most people will use some
generators like 'git format-patch' or 'quilt' for their patch-series.
I'd say if such an error ever occurs, the series could be manually
fixed/resent. That way, you don't need to code some UI and the authors
who have not done a mistake won't need to take an extra step.

Kind regards,

   Wolfram