Future implementation

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 02:54:43 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Luis Busquets
<luis.busquets at ilidium.com> wrote:
> Could someone please confirm the following points?:
>

> 2. Integration of DosBOX or other emulator. How this will be done? Is the
> plan to use them when wine detects that the programme is compiled for real
> mode? Does that mean that the sake of wine is to provide compatibility only
> for applications built to be run on protected mode?

Just yesterday (http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2010-April/082983.html)
I wrote that we don't need emulation even on 64-bit since we can still
get into virtual 8086 mode using the http://v86-64.sourceforge.net
project.

In any case, a real mode DOS application can still switch into
protected mode, and a 16-bit protected mode Windows 3.1 application
can still call into DOS, so there's no escape from DOS in Wine :-).

Damjan