Wine 2.0

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 23:09:37 CDT 2010

Is it worth a few extra page impressions to dispose of the meaningful
version progress of Wine?

I would say no.

Wine will be popular regardless of its version string as long as it
continues to support a large set of applications.  I'm of the stronger
opinion that we should be releasing our own press releases when major
applications or suites are made to work.  Every time a part of the
Adobe CS suite starts working I notice buzz on some tech news sites
and that's based only on mailing list comments without our promotion.
This is how I suggest long term users are obtained.

A great example of when we should have done some thing like this was
about two months ago.  STO was released and worked practically out of
the box thanks to a lot of work by Crossover.  Many Linux users I've
talked to at Unix groups really wanted to play the game but didn't
think Wine as worth considering due to past experience.  We need to
change this and when the next opportunity comes up it'd be nice to
take advantage of it.

Edward