Benchmarking D3D?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 04:32:50 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been looking into nvperfkit the past few days. The current
> Linux version is based on the 173.x drivers (ancient but they would
> work fine for your geforce 7600). As a workaround I have been
> experimenting a bit on Windows mostly in the hope to get NVPerfkit
> running on WineD3D there. In the end WineD3D worked and perfkit also
> installed (there were some issues for 32-bit apps on Win7) but then it
> appeared that my GPU is too new yet (it is a GTS 360M), so it doesn't
> work yet.

I had a bit of luck using wined3d on windows 7 with perfkit. After
getting a simple opengl demo to work with perfkit, I moved on to a
simple d3d benchmark + wined3d  + perfkit, and was able to get some
profiling data.

Unfortunately, the program I was wanting to get data for uses a couple
loaders and the 'core' executable is 3 layers deep. Perfkit puts it
data in stdout (popping up a console and piping it there), and for the
first two demos I was able to redirect to a file with cygwin and some
creative piping. For the other program, however, I haven't had any
luck, though I'm not sure if the piping isn't strong enough, if the
program is redirecting output somewhere else, or it's getting lost in
the multiple executables...

--
-Austin